Last updated on October 29th, 2022 at 05:38 am
One of the most well-regarded airlines, Delta Airlines was founded nearly 100 years ago. Since the airline commenced operations, it has been known for prioritizing customer satisfaction and convenience. The airline can fly you to over 350 exciting destinations in over 50 countries on six continents. Have you booked a flight ticket with Delta Airlines but won’t be making the trip due change in travel plans? You might be looking for alternatives in order to not lose your money entirely. One of the options in such a situation that comes to mind is transferring your ticket to another person. In this article we discuss the eligibility for Delta ticket transfers, what are transferable and non-transferable tickets, and more. So, here’s all you need to know about Delta Airlines Transfer Ticket To Another Person.
Can I Transfer My Delta Ticket To Another Person?
Even though Delta Airlines is lenient when it comes to its various policies, unfortunately, the airline strictly does not allow transferring tickets to another person. This is not a policy that is specific to Delta Airlines only. Many of the other major airlines have also restricted the transfer of flight tickets. This is done to avoid the risk of fraud. If Delta allows ticket transfer, it can make it easier for any phony passengers to get on board the flight. This will only compromise the safety of other co-passengers on the flight.
The only situation when you can transfer your ticket is when you have purchased a transferable ticket. Since Delta does not issue any transferable tickets to its passengers, Delta Airlines Transfer Ticket To Another Person is not possible. If you have fully paid for a Business or First Class ticket, then there will be a slight possibility of ticket transfer. For this, you will have to get in touch with Delta’s customer service.
What Delta does allow is the cancellation of the ticket and booking again under the name of the passenger you wished to transfer the ticket to.
How To Cancel Delta Airlines Flight Booking?
You can cancel your Delta flight booking online easily either via the official website of Delta Airlines or Delta’s mobile application. Simply follow the below-listed steps.
- Visit Delta Airlines official Site via your preferred web browser.
- Click on the ‘My Trips’ option that can be found on the homepage of the website itself.
- Enter your ‘Booking Confirmation Number’.
- You can also locate your flight but entering the Credit/Debit Card number or the ticket number.
- Now enter your First Name and Last Name.
- Press ‘Enter’ or click on the arrow button next to these fields.
- After successfully locating your flight, you will see the ‘Modify Flight’ button, click on it.
- You will be given two options. You can either change or cancel your flight. Click on the ‘Start Flight Cancellation’ button.
- You will be shown your flight details. Click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- Finally, click on ‘Cancel Trip’.
When the cancellation process has been successfully completed, the airline will send you an email.
Can I avoid paying the Delta flight cancellation fee?
According to the cancellation policy of Delta Airlines, if you cancel your flight within 24 hours of making the purchase, the airline will not only fully refund you but there will also not be any sort of cancellation charges. The airline also doesn’t charge any cancellation fee if the passenger was carrying a refundable ticket.
If you are canceling a non-refundable ticket after 24 hours of making the booking, the airline will charge you a cancellation ranging between $0 to $500. This cancellation fee will depend on the destination you were traveling to. The cancellation fee for domestic flight tickets can go up to $200. On the other hand, if you cancel an international flight ticket, the fee can range anywhere between $200-$500.
Can I change name on Delta Airlines ticket?
Yes, Delta Airlines does allow its passengers to change their name after the booking has been already made. But this must not be confused with transferring a ticket to another person’s name. You can only make alterations to the name of the person whose name was on the original booking and not transfer it to another person’s name.
Changes to First and Middle Name are allowed by Delta Airlines, granted the changed name should match with the name on the passenger’s ID/Passport issued by the government. If you wish to add a middle name, you will have to make a completely new booking and create a new PNR (Passenger Name Record).
For more information on the name change policy, read Delta Change Name On Ticket.
Transferable and Non-Transferable ticket
As the name itself suggests, transferable tickets are the ones that can be transferred to another person’s name and the new passenger will now be eligible for travel with that ticket. On the other hand, non-transferable tickets don’t allow such luxury. For non-transferable tickets, the person in whose name the booking has been made must be the one traveling with it. Transferable tickets are much more expensive than non-transferable tickets. The price of transferable tickets can be so high that it would be less expensive at times to simply make a cancellation and do a new booking. As Delta does not issue transferable tickets, Delta Airlines transfer ticket to another person is not possible.
Delta Cancellation & Refund Policy
Now that you know that Delta Airlines does not allow the transfer of tickets to another person, you might indeed be canceling flight tickets. Before you initiate the cancellation process, know about the cancellation and refund policy guidelines highlighted below:
- As stated earlier, if the passenger cancels their Delta flight ticket within 24 hours of making the booking, you will be entitled to receive a full refund.
- The airline will also not charge you any cancellation fee if you cancel the booking within 24 hours.
- This 24-hour cancellation policy is applicable regardless of the fare type you have purchased.
- If you cancel your booking after the 24-hour risk-free period for a non-refundable ticket, you will not be receiving any refund.
- For non-refundable tickets, only a tax amount is credited when a passenger applies for a refund.
- Passengers are given the option to convert their ticket amount into points that can be used to purchase a Delta flight ticket in the future
For further details on the cancellation policy, read Delta Airlines Cancelled Flights.