Last updated on October 14th, 2022 at 11:11 am
Getting a refund from an airline can be a tricky process. However, that is not the case with Emirates Airlines. Emirates has always been known to be one of the more customer-friendly airlines out there. If you have booked an Emirates Airlines ticket but won’t be taking the flight, you can easily cancel the booking and request a refund. In this article, we provide a detailed guide on how to get an Emirates refund on flight cancellations.
What is the Refund Policy of Emirates Airlines?
Emirates Airlines has received praise from customers from all around the world for its services. This has a lot to do with the lenient policies of the airline that are designed while keeping the customer’s interests in mind. Before you cancel your flight and apply for a refund, get to know about the guidelines provided under the Emirates refund policy.
- The 24-hour cancellation and refund policy of Emirates states that if a passenger cancels their flight booking within 24 hours of purchase, they shall be entitled to receive a full refund.
- If your ticket purchase was made less than seven days prior to the scheduled flight departure, the 24-hour cancellation and refund policy shall not be applicable.
- There is also zero cancellation fee if you cancel your booking within 24 hours of ticket purchase.
The airline will charge you a cancellation fee on cancellations made after the 24-hour risk-free period. This cancellation fee will be deducted from the ticket fare.
- The Emirates refund policy is only applied on bookings made directly with the airline via their website, reservations number, or from the airport ticket counter.
- If your booking was confirmed and yet you were denied boarding, the airline will fully compensate you for the same.
- If you are canceling a non-refundable ticket, the airline will not refund you but will instead issue points (a form of airline currency). These points can be used to book future Emirates flights.
- In exceptional cases such as death or serious illness, Emirates is ready to issue a full refund even if the passenger is carrying a non-refundable ticket. However, you will be asked to provide sufficient supporting documents.
How To Get Emirates Refunds Online?
There are a couple of ways you can request a refund on Emirates flight cancellations. The easiest way is to apply for a refund online by visiting the official website of Emirates Airlines. Alternatively, you can ask for a refund by getting in touch with customer service. You can follow the steps listed below to apply for a refund online.
- First, you will be required to visit the ‘Refund Request’ page of the airline.
- Read the refund request terms and conditions and check the boxes next to it before you proceed.
- Now you will have to find your booking. Enter your Booking Reference number (completely optional).
- Enter the flight departure date.
- Select the flight departure airport.
- Enter the arrival airport.
- Fill in your personal details (name, contact information, etc.)
- Select the refund request type. In the case of requesting refund for flight cancellation, you can choose ‘fully unused ticket’ or ‘partially unused ticket’.
- If you believe you have a genuine reason and would be eligible for cancellation fee waiver, you can choose this option and provide the supporting documents.
- Enter your ticket details (ticket number and name of the passenger).
- Select the mode of payment you used during the ticket booking process.
- Select the country from where the ticket was issued.
- Check the box saying ‘I confirm that all the details I have entered are correct.’
- Click on the submit button.
The airline will notify you that the refund request has been submitted by sending you an email. Emirates Airlines takes a maximum of 30 days for processing any kind of refund request. If you have requested a refund through a credit card, it shall be processed within 3-5 days.
Emirates Airlines Cancellation Fee
As mentioned earlier, if you cancel your Emirates flight booking after the 24 hour grace period, the airline will deduct some amount from the ticket fare as a cancellation fee. The amount deducted as a cancellation fee will mainly depend on your fare type. Passengers carrying a Saver Fare type will be required to pay a cancellation fee of USD 300 for Economy Saver Fares and USD 400 for Business Saver Fares. If you have purchased a Special Fare purchase (generally low cost), chances are good you won’t be eligible for cancellation in the first place.
The Emirates Cancellation Fee for a few other fare types is listed below:
- Economy Flex Fares – USD 200
- Business Flex Fares – USD 400 (on canceling before departure), USD 1000 (on canceling post-departure)
- First Flex Fares – USD 400
Also read: Emirates Ticket Date Change Fee
What Happens When Emirates Cancels Your Flight?
If your flight is canceled by Emirates Airlines itself due to unfavorable weather conditions or technical problems, the airline will give you the option to request a refund and will fully compensate you. You will also be given the option to take the next best flight available. It will have the same travel class as your original booking. On the other hand, if your flight was delayed by a significant amount of time ruining your travel place, then also you can apply for an Emirates refund.
Get more details on Emirates refund policy for flight delays. Contact the airline through its customer service and enquire about the same. The refund policy on flight delays varies from region to region. For example, if your origin airport is in a European Union country and your flight gets delayed by more than 5 hours, you are guaranteed to receive a full refund.