Despite being a low-cost carrier, JetBlue Airways has been widely appreciated by frequent customers for its all-around excellent services. The airline offers various fare types to choose from depending on the passenger’s travel needs. If you wish to get some additional airport and onboard perks without having to pay for an extremely high-priced ticket, JetBlue Blue Extra would offer you a great middle ground. Here’s everything you need to know about the Blue Extra fare option before you initiate the booking process.
About JetBlue Blue Extra
JetBlue Blue Extra is a relatively new fare option offered by JetBlue Airways. It is ideal for passengers who wish to travel with flexibility and speed. Although it is the most expensive fare type the airline offers in the Economy Class, it is nowhere near as expensive as JetBlue Mint and offers multiple benefits. Purchasing a JetBlue Blue Extra seat will get you the following advantages:
- Early Boarding
- Free Advanced Seating
- Full Change Flexibility
- Even More Speed (faster airport experience)
JetBlue Blue Extra Seats
Since JetBlue Blue Extra is a part of the airline’s Economy Class, you get the standard Economy Seat upon purchase of this fare option. The Blue Extra seats have a seat pitch (legroom) ranging anywhere between 32” to 34” depending upon the aircraft. On the other hand, Blue Extra’s seat width ranges anywhere between 17.8” to 18.4”.
If you wish for seats with additional legroom and width, you can opt for JetBlue Even More Space.
JetBlue Blue Extra Guidelines
Each fare type offered by any airline has its own specific rules and guidelines in regards to baggage, cancellation, etc. Read below to know about JetBlue Blue Extra guidelines.
- Blue Extra customers are allowed to bring one carry-on bag on board the flight free of charge.
- You can also bring one personal item such as a purse, laptop, umbrella, etc. onboard the flight.
- No checked baggage is included with the Blue Extra ticket (except on flights to and from London).
- Same-day switches, same-day standby, and advanced seat selection are all included with a Blue Extra ticket.
- The airline charges zero change or cancellation fee for the Blue Extra fare type.
- Blue Extra buyers can earn a minimum of 3 TrueBlue points per $1 spent.
How To Book Blue Extra Ticket?
You can get your JetBlue Blue Extra ticket booked either online, via a phone call, or directly at the airport through the ticket counter. To book your Blue Extra ticket online, you will have to visit the airline’s official website. The website is easy to navigate and you will be done with the booking process in no time. Simply follow the steps given below.
- Visit the JetBlue Airways website.
- In the header of the website, you will find the ‘Book’ option, click on it.
- Select the ‘Flights’ option.
- Enter your departure and destination airports.
- Now you have to choose from one-way, round-trip, or multi-city as your trip type.
- Choose the number of passengers.
- For making your booking using miles, you can also select the ‘Use TrueBlue points’ option.
- Now click on the ‘Search Flights’ button.
- The website will now take you to a page showing the available flights for your chosen route.
- On the left side of your screen, you will find the ‘Explore Fares’ section. From here you can choose JetBlue Blue Extra (if available).
- Select the flight you wish to book.
- You will be shown your trip summary. Click on the ‘Next: Checkout’ button to proceed to the next step.
- Enter the traveler details.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the flight reservation process.
- Make the payment to confirm your booking.
JetBlue Airways will email you your booking details once your Blue Extra booking has been successfully confirmed from the airline’s end.
Have trouble with the online booking process? You can call the airlines’ reservations number and you will be connected to a live representative of the airline who will help you in getting your reservation made. The live person will also provide answers to any of your queries in relation to the Blue Extra fare option.
How Much Does JetBlue Blue Extra Cost?
The cost of a JetBlue Blue Extra ticket is entirely dependent on your flight route. When compared to the other fare types offered by the airline, JetBlue Blue Extra is more expensive than Blue Basic, Blue, and Blue Plus but cheaper than a JetBlue Mint ticket. To give you a better idea regarding the cost, we checked the current prices for one of the more popular routes of JetBlue Airways – New York (JFK) to Santiago (STI). A one-way trip on this route will cost you $212 for Blue Extra, $187 for Blue, and $187 for Blue Basic respectively.
Taking about the baggage charges for Blue Extra, your first checked baggage will cost you $35. For your second checked baggage, the airline will charge you a $45 fee. From third baggage onwards, you will be required to pay a $150 fee for each bag.
Get cheap flight deals with JetBlue Low Fare Calendar.
Is JetBlue Blue Extra Worth It?
Passengers who are planning to travel light will benefit the most by purchasing the Blue Extra fare option. The biggest selling point of Blue Extra is that buyers won’t be charged any additional fee for same-day switches and same-day standby. These benefits are not included in Basic Blue, Blue, and Blue Plus. Other benefits such as the inclusion of Even More Speed and Early Boarding definitely make Blue Extra worth its price.