KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is well regarded for its high-quality services. The airline also has lenient and customer-friendly policies. Have you booked a flight with KLM but are facing a change in travel plans? Or has KLM delayed or canceled your flight? In such cases, you might be looking for information on getting a refund on your reservation. In this article, we provide a detailed guide on the KLM refund policy and how to apply for a refund. So here’s everything you need to know before you cancel your KLM booking.
What is the Refund Policy of KLM Airlines?
Customers can get a full refund on KLM flight cancellations without any penalties or administrative fees if:
- You cancel your booking within the first 24 hours after the ticket has been purchased (booking must be made via KLM’s website).
- You have purchased a fully flexible ticket. In other words, the ticket you purchased is fully refundable regardless of your travel class.
- Your flight was canceled by KLM and you chose not to take the alternative flight offered by the airline.
- The airline denied your boarding the flight despite being eligible for the same.
- Your intercontinental flight was delayed by more than 3 hours.
- Your flight to Europe was delayed by more than 90 minutes.
- KLM rescheduled the flight you had booked and the new schedule doesn’t suit you.
- You were refused a visa.
- One of the passengers on the booking died (supporting documents required).
KLM states that all flights on the passenger’s booking shall be canceled once a refund request is made.
KLM Refund Policy For Extra Option Costs
If you have purchased any of the KLM’s extra options (additional baggage, lounge access, etc.) with your booking, you can get a refund on them provided you follow the refund guidelines of the airline.
- A refund for extra baggage is issued if it is requested within 24 hours of purchase.
- You can also get a refund on extra baggage if you get rebooked on a flight that is not operated by an airline other than KLM.
- For Economy Comfort Seats, you can request a refund within 24 hours of seat purchase or when your flight is canceled by the airline.
- Regular seat reservations are also eligible for a full refund within the 24-hour risk-free period.
- À la carte meal purchase is eligible for a refund if your flight is canceled or you got rebooked on a flight that does not offer À la carte meals.
- You can request a refund for Crown Lounge 25 access within the 24-hour risk-free period or if you don’t enter the lounge.
- Added flexibility to your booking can also be canceled and fully refunded within 24 hours of purchase.
Note: Crown Lounge 25 access is complimentary if you upgrade to KLM Business Class.
KLM Airlines Policy For Compensation Request
In certain cases, the airline will not only issue a full refund but also provide compensation if your travel has been affected and the airline is at fault. You can get compensation in the following cases:
- If your KLM flight has been delayed by more than 3 hours.
- Your KLM flight has been unexpectedly canceled due to reasons in control of the airline.
- If your baggage is lost, damaged, or delayed during your journey on a KLM flight.
If your flight is canceled due to special circumstances such as unfavorable weather conditions, political reasons, and so on, KLM will not be liable for providing any sort of compensation.
How To Apply For KLM Refund?
You can apply for a KLM flight refund online by visiting the airline’s official website. Alternatively, you can get in touch with the airline’s customer service and state your request and provide your booking details.
If you choose to request the refund online, you can do so by following the steps given below:
- First, you will have to visit the KLM Refund webpage.
- Select your language.
- Choose your country or region of refund payment.
- Now select the type of refund request. You can choose from ticket refund, extra option refund, and travel voucher refund.
- If you opt for an extra option refund, in the product type field you will select which extra option you wish to get a refund for.
- In the last field, you will have to select the reason for the refund request (canceled flight, flight delays, denied boarding, etc.).
- Click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- Once you confirm your refund request, you will be taken to a page where you have to fill in your contact details.
- Now enter your refund details (booking reference number, airline code, passenger’s name, etc.).
- You can also attach any relevant documents that can support your refund request.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the refund request process.
According to the information provided on KLM’s website, the airline will process your refund within 7 days.
How To Check KLM Refund Request Status?
KLM has made it extremely easy for customers to check their refund status. You can do so by visiting the My Trip section on KLM’s website. Once you enter your booking code and last name, you will be taken to a page showing all your booking details. If you have applied for a refund, you will be shown the current status of the refund. The airline will also contact you via email once the refund has been processed. You also have the option of contacting a live representative of KLM and asking them about your refund status.