Last updated on October 29th, 2022 at 05:37 am
We are all concerned about the safety and well-being of our children when they have to travel alone. JetBlue Airways understands this, which is why the airline provides an unaccompanied minor service. If your child will be flying alone on a JetBlue flight, it is recommended that you get all the details on this service prior to making the flight booking. Here’s what you need to know about JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Service.
What is JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Service?
If a child between the ages of 5 and 14 will be flying on a JetBlue flight by themselves, it is mandatory for them to enroll with the JetBlue unaccompanied minor program. If the minor is above the age of 14, it is not necessary for them to be traveling as an unaccompanied minor. However, you can still choose the unaccompanied minor service for additional assistance. The flight crew will ensure that your child has a comfortable flight journey and will also provide any necessary assistance. The unaccompanied minor service is available at the airport (origin and destination), onboard the flight, and during connections.
JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Policy
JetBlue Airways is specific regarding their child travel guidelines. Read the following policy before you make your JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor reservation:
- The unaccompanied minor service is mandatory for children between the ages of 5 to 14.
- Children below the age of 5 must travel with a companion above the age of 14 in order to be eligible for travel.
- Minor travelers who are above the age of 14 can also get themselves enrolled in the unaccompanied minor program.
- A maximum of 3 unaccompanied minors are booked on a JetBlue flight.
- The unaccompanied minor service is solely available on JetBlue’s non-stop flights.
- Unaccompanied minor tickets can be booked either online (via the official JetBlue website) or through a phone call.
- JetBlue Unaccompanied minor travel is not allowed on codeshare or interline flights.
- The airline does not offer unaccompanied minor service on flights to and from London.
JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Requirements
- The unaccompanied minor must be escorted and checked in by a parent or a guardian.
- An adult must receive the unaccompanied minor at the destination airport.
- The airline must be informed during the booking process about any disabilities or special requirements of the unaccompanied minor.
- It is recommended that the unaccompanied minor is carrying a photo ID.
- The adult who will be responsible for the minor’s check-in and receiving them at the destination airport must carry a photo ID.
- The adult who is accompanying the minor to the airport and receiving them at the destination airport must also have their name, address, and cell phone number on the reservation.
- The unaccompanied minor must carry a minimum of 3 copies of the Unaccompanied Minor Form.
- Unaccompanied minors are also required to arrive at the airport much earlier than the check-in deadline.
- The parent/guardian responsible for receiving the minor must arrive at the airport at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled arrival time of the flight.
- For international flights, you must meet the destination country’s document requirements for unaccompanied minor travel.
Services Provided Under Unaccompanied Minor Program
- The JetBlue flight crew will frequently check on the unaccompanied minor and make sure that the child is having a pleasant flight journey.
- The child can notify the flight attendant in need of any assistance.
- Early boarding is provided for unaccompanied minors to help them get settled and meet flight attendants.
- Unaccompanied minors can also request special assistance.
- Complimentary snacks may or may not be offered.
- The inflight entertainment service of JetBlue is excellent and it should be enough to keep your child busy throughout the journey.
Does JetBlue charge for unaccompanied minors?
JetBlue Airways charges a $150 fee (each way) for its unaccompanied minor service. If your child will be making a round-trip, the fee will double to $300. The unaccompanied minor fee is the same for both domestic and international flights. This fee must be paid online during the unaccompanied minor reservation process.
The fee charged by JetBlue for unaccompanied minor travel is definitely on the higher side. In comparison, Southwest Airlines charges a much lesser $50 fee for the unaccompanied minor service.
Unaccompanied Minor Seating and Baggage Allowance
Even More® Space and JetBlue Mint seats are not made available for unaccompanied minor travel. The minor will be seated right at the back of the aircraft. This is done so that the flight crew can easily assist the minor whenever needed. When it comes to JetBlue Airways, the last row seats (A, B, and C) of the aircraft are specially reserved for the 3 unaccompanied minors traveling on the flight.
Talking about the baggage allowance, unaccompanied minors can travel with the full checked baggage allowance of the travel class the reservation is made for. For Carry-On baggage, the minor can bring on board one personal item and a carry-on bag.
JetBlue Unaccompanied Minor Phone Number
As mentioned earlier, you can also get a JetBlue unaccompanied minor reservation made by getting in touch with JetBlue’s customer service. You will be connected to a live representative of the airline who will help to make your reservation. Getting your unaccompanied minor ticket booked through a phone call has the added benefit of getting any related queries answered instantly. JetBlue’s customer service is available 24/7. If you are giving the airline a call on their Spanish customer support number, you can do so between 9 am to 9 pm Eastern Time.
You can travel alone with your kids aged 5-14 as an unaccompanied minor. Get the information on how to list them, drop & pick them up, international travel & more.
Unaccompanied minors under 12 are eligible for the airline’s Young Travelers program, which has no fee but does require gate passes for adults escorting and picking up the child. The program is valid only on domestic nonstop or direct flights.
Unaccompanied minors who reach 14 and travel alone must be booked as adults, however, you can request additional assistance under these circumstances.
Unaccompanied minors flying domestically or internationally will be charged $150 each way by JetBlue
At the time of check-in, both the unaccompanied minor and their parent/guardian must present valid photo IDs
It is recommended that children carry their school identification cards or other forms of photo identification, valid birth certificates of infants, and any other relevant ID when they travel on concessionary fares.
More Helpful Guide
JetBlue Airways Flight Change Policy
Leave a Reply