Last updated on October 14th, 2022 at 11:15 am
Passengers can often be making flight bookings in a hurry. This results in minor or major errors being made on the reservation that would need correction. Have you booked your next flight with Lufthansa but spelled your name wrong on the ticket? Or has your name been legally changed and doesn’t match what’s on the reservation? Lufthansa is extremely customer-friendly when it comes to its various change policies. This allows customers to make name changes with ease. Read further to get all the details on Lufthansa’s name change policy.
For instant name change on a Lufthansa ticket, contact our experts at Name Change Helpline Number: +1-888-906-1815 (available 24/7).
Types of Lufthansa Name Changes
There are various types of name changes Lufthansa allows its customers. From fixing any spelling errors to correcting inverted names, Lufthansa’s passengers are allowed to make the following name changes:
Minor Name Change
Correction of misspellings in the Frist, Middle, or Last Name of the passenger can be termed a minor name change. According to Lufthansa’s policy, passengers are allowed to change up to two characters in your entire name without any charges.
Legal Name Change
Has your name been changed legally since the time you made your flight booking? Any name changes caused due to Marriage, Divorce, Adoption, or any other legal change shall be allowed by the airline. Although, the name change process for a legal change can be lengthier as the airline can take its time to verify the supporting documents provided by the customer.
You cannot add or remove a prefix or suffix in your name. Prefix or suffix corrections such as ‘Sr.’ to ‘Jr.’ are also not permitted by the airline.
Inverted Name Correction
It is not uncommon for passengers to enter their First Name in place or their Last Name and vice versa during the booking process. Such errors can also be easily fixed without any charges for once. For example, you can change ‘Norris John’ to ‘John Norris’.
Note: All the above-stated changes shall only be allowed to match the customer’s name on their ID/Passport issued by the government.
Lufthansa Name Change Policy
- Passengers are allowed to change a maximum of two characters in either their First, Middle, or Last Names.
- The passenger’s Middle Name on the ticket can be added, removed, or corrected (up to 2 characters).
- If your name has been changed legally (due to marriage, divorce, adoption, etc.), the airline will ask you to show legal documents supporting the name change.
- Lufthansa allows only one single name change per ticket issued.
- For a Lufthansa Group Travel booking, name changes can be made without any charges up until the ticket is issued.
- Legal name changes shall be free of cost according to the Group Travel policy even after the ticket has been issued.
- Prefix and Suffix cannot be added, removed, or corrected.
- Any name changes made on the ticket must match the name on your government-issued ID and Passport.
- If your reservation was made via a third-party travel agency, you will have to contact them for the name change instead of Lufthansa Airlines.
- If the PNR includes the passenger’s frequent flyer code and it cannot be deleted, name change shall not be allowed by the airline and you will have to make a new reservation.
- Customers are strictly prohibited from changing the name on the ticket to another person’s name.
- Name change shall not be permitted by Lufthansa if the ticket is purchased on the day of the flight’s departure itself.
- Once the name change is done, Lufthansa will reissue the ticket to the passenger.
Also Read: Lufthansa Rebooking Policy
Name Change/Correction Not Allowed By Lufthansa Airlines
Certain name changes or corrections may not be possible. Lufthansa prohibits the following changes to the passenger’s name on the ticket:
- Passengers won’t be allowed to change more than 2 characters in their first name, middle name, or last name. Correction of more than 2 characters is only possible for legal name correction or nicknames.
- A second first name or middle name addition or deletion won’t be perimtted according to Lufthansa Name Change Policy.
- Adding or removing a second family name is also not allowed unless the name has been added or removed legally due to marriage, divorce, or other legal reasons.
- Changes to the passenger’s title such as ‘Dr.’ or ‘Prof.’ are also prohibited.
- MR, MRS, and MS cannot be changed, exchanged, added, or removed.
- If you have already changed or corrected your name on the Lufthansa ticket, a second change or correction will not be permitted.
Name Change Guidelines If Segments By Other Airlines Are Included
If your reservation includes flight segments by other airlines, a name change with Lufthansa shall affect the rest of the booking. In most cases, segments of the other airlines included in the PNR shall be canceled upon modification in the passenger’s name. In such a scenario, you must contact the other airlines and communicate about the name change in advance in order to avoid cancellation of the flight. Passengers may also be able to rebook the other segments in their reservation.
Lufthansa Name Change Cost
Any changes made to the name on the ticket within the first 24 hours since the ticket purchase shall be free of cost. If you are making the name change after this 24-hour risk-free period, the cost can vary depending on how near the scheduled departure of the flight is at the time the request is made. If your flight departs in 15 to 28 days, Lufthansa will charge you a $90 fee. For a name change requested 28 days or more prior to the scheduled departure, you will be charged approximately $50.
If you have requested the name change before the ticket is issued, Lufthansa Airlines will not charge you any name change fee.
Also Read: Lufthansa Seat Reservation Cost
What To Do If You Can’t Change Name On Lufthansa Ticket?
If the name change or correction that you require is not permitted by Lufthansa Airlines, you can cancel the booking and get a full refund if the ticket was booked less than 24 hours earlier. You can then request Lufthansa to rebook you on the same flight again. Making a completely new booking shall be dependent on flight availability and you will be required to pay the fare difference if there is any.
Does Lufthansa allow the transfer of tickets to another person?
Customers can often confuse Name Change/Correction with changing the passenger’s name to another person. It is important to note that Lufthansa does not allow the transfer of tickets to another passenger as it increases the is of having phony passengers boarding the flight. This in turn can compromise the safety of other passengers on the flight. If you want another passenger to be traveling in your place, you will have to cancel the booking and use the refunded value to make a completely fresh reservation.
How To Do Lufthansa Name Change Online?
Lufthansa Airlines offers its customers the ‘Manage Booking’ service that allows you to make modifications to your itinerary and update personal details on the booking with ease. You can follow the simple steps given below to get your name changed online.
- First, visit the Lufthansa Airlines website through a web browser of your choice.
- Click on the ‘Menu’ button with the three horizontal bars.
- Under the ‘Book & Manage’ section, select the ‘View & amend flight details’ option.
- Enter your ‘Booking Code’. You can find it in the email sent to you by the airline when the flight booking was confirmed.
- Enter the passenger’s First and Last Names in the respective fields.
- Click on the ‘Login’ button to retrieve your flight booking.
- You will be shown all the future flights you have booked with the airline. Select the booking you wish to make the name change.
- From here, you can go to the personal details section and get your name change/correction done.
- Confirm the name change and make the payment (if any).
Lufthansa will send you an email confirming the name change when it has been implemented successfully. The email will also contain your updated flight booking details.
Lufthansa Name Change Via Phone Call
Are you having trouble getting your name changed on the ticket online? Customers also have the alternative of getting their names changed by contacting customer support. You will be connected to a live representative of the airline who will assist you with the name change process. You can get all your queries answered regarding name changes or any other flight-related procedures.
Need further assistance with Lufthansa’s name change on the ticket? Talk to the experts at Lufthansa Name Change Helpline Number: +1-888-906-1815 (available 24/7).
Leave a Reply