Last updated on December 30th, 2022 at 10:17 am
Spirit Airlines is well-known for its ultra-low-cost flight tickets. The airline has been operating flights for nearly three decades and flies its passengers to over 80 destinations across the United States, the Caribbean, and Latin America. Have you made a reservation with the airline but your plans have changed? If you will be canceling your flight ticket in the hopes of getting a refund, read this article and know about the Spirit Refund Policy guidelines. Below we also provide the step-by-step process you need to follow in order to apply for a Spirit refund.
Spirit Airlines Refund Policy
Since Spirit Airlines is an ultra-low-cost carrier, its policies are not as lenient as that of some of the other airlines. You can still get a full refund on flight cancellations under certain circumstances. Here’s what you need to know about the Spirit Airlines refund policy.
- If your flight was booked at least 7 days prior to the scheduled departure and you cancel the booking within 24 hours, the airline will issue you a full refund.
- If you cancel your flight booking more than 60 days before the flight departure, you will be eligible for a full refund.
- You will not be eligible for a refund if you are canceling a non-refundable ticket.
- On cancellation of refundable tickets, the airline will compensate you in the form of travel credit. This travel credit can be used to book a future flight with the airline.
- The travel credit will expire after one year from the time when the original booking was made.
- In the case of special situations such as death or serious illness, the airline is ready to provide a full refund on cancellation. You must provide supporting documents for the same.
- Spirit Airlines charges zero cancellation fee in the case of cancellations made within 24 hours of ticket purchase.
- Cancellations are allowed up to 1 hour prior to the scheduled flight departure.
- The airline will take up to 20 days to process your refund.
- Refunds are made through the mode of payment used by the passenger during the flight booking procedure.
How To Apply For Spirit Flight Refund
Spirit flight refunds can be requested online or via a phone call and text message. Since the airline does not have a refund request page, you will have to visit Spirit’s ‘Submit A Request’ page on Spirit Airlines’ official website to request a refund. Follow the steps given below to apply for a Spirit Airlines flight refund:
- Open Spirit’s Submit A Request page in your web browser.
- Enter your email address.
- Fill in your First and Last Name.
- Select whether you are submitting the ticket on behalf of someone else or not.
- Enter the subject of the request. In this case, you can write ‘Refund Request’.
- In the next box, you will have to provide the reason behind your refund request. We advise you to be as detailed as possible as it will increase your chances of getting a refund successfully.
- Click on ‘Choose Files’ to upload any documents supporting your request.
- Finally, click on the ‘Submit’ button.
The airline will communicate to you if your request has been granted or not via email. The response can come to you anywhere between 24-48 hours.
Alternatively, you can get in touch with a Spirit Airlines live person and request for refund by providing your flight booking details. Even though the Spirit Airlines customer service is available 24/7, the best time to call the airline is at 8:00 AM. To communicate with Spirit Airlines via SMS or Whatsapp, simply begin your text with ‘Hello’ and describe your request/query/complaint.
Spirit Airlines Cancellation Fee
As mentioned earlier, the airline does not charge any cancellation fee whatsoever if the cancellation is made within 24 hours of ticket purchase. Cancellation is also free of cost if you are canceling more than 60 days prior to the scheduled departure. Cancellation made anywhere between 59 to 15 days before departure will cost you USD 39. If you are canceling between 14 to 7 days before departure, the airline will charge you USD 59. Canceling in less than 6 days will cost you the most with a cancellation fee of USD 79.
Spirit Airlines Flight Flex
The ‘Flight Flex’ is a modification charge protection offered by Spirit Airlines. You can purchase it during the booking process by visiting the Extras Page on the official website of the airline. So what does this Flight Flex service actually do? The Flight Flex will allow you to make changes to your booking once without any charges for up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure. This way you will be able to cancel your booking without having to pay any cancellation fee. You can subsequently request a refund on the cancellation.
Note: The Flight Flex service is not available on all flights.
Will I Get A Refund When My Flight Is Canceled By Spirit Airlines?
At times, scheduled flights can be canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, technical issues, or any other undesirable circumstances. Spirit Airlines has stated that it will provide a full refund when the flight is canceled by the airline itself. You will also be given the option to get rebooked on another flight. If the new flight option doesn’t meet your travel needs, you can also opt for getting a refund.
Also Read: Spirit Airlines Baggage Policy
Leave a Reply