Same-Day flight changes are not uncommon. There are times when a passenger might reach the airport and wish to board the earlier flight on the departure day itself. United Airlines has been proactive about making such same-day flight changes convenient for its passengers. Are you looking to reach your destination earlier than originally scheduled as well? Read further for details on ‘United Change To Earlier Flight’.
Switch to an earlier United flight instantly! Get in touch with our booking modification specialists via the Same-Day Flight Change Helpline Number: +1-805-270-2898.
United’s Guidelines For ‘Change To Earlier Flight’
United indeed offers its passengers the option to switch to an earlier flight depending on seat availability. Before you request United a change to an earlier flight, make sure to go through the following guidelines issued by the airline under its Same-Day Flight Change policy:
- In order to be eligible for a United change to an earlier flight, you are required to be carrying a domestic or international United ticket with its number starting with ‘016’.
- You must also be flying on a United or United Express aircraft to change to an earlier United flight.
- Basic Economy Fares, bulk tickets, consolidator tickets, and group bookings are not eligible for a change to an earlier United flight.
- Apart from the above ticket types, all other United tickets are eligible for a change to an earlier flight.
- Award Tickets shall also be eligible for a same-day earlier flight change.
- If you change to an earlier United flight, your origin and destination airports must remain unchanged. However, you can add or remove any connections.
- United disallows co-terminal swaps.
Related: United Airlines Change Flight Date
Difference between Same-Day Change To Earlier Flight and Same-Day Standby
A same-day change (to an earlier flight) is a confirmed flight change, which means you are guaranteed to be boarding the earlier flight. On the other hand, Same-Day Standby is an unconfirmed change. If you have requested a change to an earlier United flight and there are no seats available on the earlier flight as of yet, United Airlines shall put you on a standby list. As soon as there is a seat vacant on the earlier flight, you will be notified. If there is no seat available, you will retain your original ticket and travel on the originally scheduled flight only.
Passengers can get their names added to the Standby list for up to 1 hour prior to the scheduled departure for international flights. For domestic flights, you can do so up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. A Standby Change is cleared shortly prior to the scheduled departure. The airline shall let you know if your ‘United change to earlier flight’ is confirmed or not.
Fees for ‘United Change To Earlier Flight’
If you request a change to an earlier United flight and the change is confirmed, you will be owing United Airlines a Same-Day Flight Change fee. As of now, the airline charges a $75 Same-Day Flight Change Fee. If you are an Elite Member, you won’t be required to pay a fee for a confirmed change to an earlier flight. On the other hand, United Airlines charges no fee whatsoever for getting on the Same-Day Standby List.
Note: If your ‘United change to earlier flight’ is confirmed in a different cabin class (due to unavailability in the originally preferred cabin class), you will be required to pay the difference.
How To Change To An Earlier United Flight?
There are a few ways you can request United Airlines for a Same-Day change to an earlier flight. You can either check for the availability online (on United’s website or mobile application) or call the reservations phone line. On the mobile application, you shall see Same-Day change options once you check in for your scheduled flight and select ‘Search Other Flight Options’.
Read further for details on the Same-Day Earlier Flight Change process via United’s website and reservations phone line.
Change To Earlier Flight Online (Manage Booking Method)
Follow the steps listed below to change to an earlier United flight online:
- Open the United Airlines official site.
- Click on the ‘My Trips’ tab.
- Fill in your booking confirmation code and the passenger’s last name.
- Retrieve your booking by clicking on the ‘Search’ button.
- Now that you have entered the United Airlines Manage Booking facility, select the ‘Change Flight’ option to change to an earlier United flight.
- Select the earlier flight (if there are no seats available, choose the StandBy option).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm your United change to an earlier flight.
Your updated booking details will soon be sent to you via the email address provided during the initial reservation process. If you are not satisfied with your changes, you can make further modifications by retrieving your flight booking again.
Book cheap flights using United Airlines Low Fare Calendar.
Change To Earlier Flight Offline (via Phone Call)
There are times when United’s website and mobile application don’t show all the flights available for a specific route. The change fee can also be inaccurately shown for certain flights. To avoid this, we recommend you request a United change to an earlier flight by contacting the airline via phone call. Once you get connected to a United Airlines Live Person, simply state your requirements for a Same-Day flight change. Depending on the eligibility and availability, the live person shall either confirm your change to an earlier flight or allow you to join the standby list. Calling as soon as check-in begins shall greatly increase your chances of changing to an earlier United flight.
Avoid additional charges on switching to an earlier United flight. Contact our reservations experts at Same-Day Flight Change Helpline Number: +1-805-270-2898.