Last updated on April 12th, 2022 at 05:18 pm
We as travelers do take all the precautions we can in order to reach the airport in time. However, this is not always possible. If you fly often, there is a good chance you have also missed your flight at least once. Have you booked a United Airlines flight? The airline has always strived to be as customer-friendly as possible. There are a few options you have if you happen to miss a United flight. In this article, we talk about the United missed flight policy in detail.
What To Do When You Miss A United Airlines Flight?
United Airlines actively finds alternatives for its customers when their flight is missed to get their journey back on track. You have the following options if you arrive late at the airport for your United flight.
Check If United Has Found Another Flight For You
When a passenger misses their flight, chances are good that the airline has already found another flight option for them. In order to check if you have a new flight available, you can use the airline’s official website, its mobile app, or use a United kiosk.
Rebook The Flight
United Airlines gives its passengers the option of getting rebooked on the next flight with available seats if they miss their original flight. The rebooking will be done to the same destination and in the same travel class. Passengers will have to pay the fare difference if the cost of the new booking is more than the original booking.
Get On The Standby List
You won’t always find the seats available on the next flight to your desired destination. In such a situation, United’s customers have the option of joining the standby list. Doing this won’t give you a confirmed seat but once there is a seat available, the airline will notify you about the same. In certain cases, the airline will also waive its normal standby fees.
Visit Another Airport
Alternatively, you can go to another airport to take a different flight to your destination if it lines up with your travel plans. For example, if the flight you missed was to New York/Newark, you can have the option of flying into New York LaGuardia.
United Missed Flight Policy – No Show Policy
There are specific guidelines United Airlines has provided for when a passenger misses their flight. Below we highlight the key details of the United Missed Flight Policy.
- According to the missed flight policy, if a passenger fails to reach the airport before the flight departs, the airline will treat them as a No Show.
- United Airlines might cancel all your subsequent flights in the same itinerary if you missed your flight.
- The airline will help you find another flight to the same destination.
- To get rebooked on the next flight, you must arrive at the airport within 2 hours from the departure time.
- If there are no seats available, you will have to join the standby list.
- United Airlines charges a USD 125 fee when a passenger fails to show up for their flight. This fee shall remain the same regardless of your membership level.
- If you are sure you won’t be able to arrive at the airport in time, you can cancel the booking prior to the departure and get compensated. If the airline issues a refund in the form of travel credit, you can use it for making any future bookings.
Book cheap flights with United Airlines Low Fare Calendar
What To Do When Connecting Flight Is Missed With United?
If you missed your United Airlines connecting flight, the first thing you need to do is get in touch with the help desk and communicate about your missed flight to the staff. You will be provided information if any other flight is available for you to board to the same destination. If the airline is at fault for your missing the flight and it fails to provide you with a flight alternative, you will be eligible for a full refund.
You can follow the steps listed below in order to apply for a refund with United Airlines.
- Visit United’s official website to access the Refund Form.
- Click on Request a Refund.
- Enter your personal details and contact information (you can also simply sign in to your MileagePlus account to save time with filling in your information).
- Under ‘Select items for refund’ click on the ‘Add Flight’ button.
- Fill in your Booking Confirmation Number and Last Name.
- Select the flight booking you wish to apply the refund for.
- In the third section of the form, you will have to explain why you are applying for a refund (in this case due to a flight delay).
- Upload any supporting documents.
- Provide your email address.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
The airline processes refunds within seven business days. The airline will keep you updated regarding the refund process.
Delayed United Flight Compensation
If your United flight gets delayed by more than 3 hours, you will be eligible for compensation. This is in accordance with the standard regulations. the standard If the flight is delayed by more than 5 hours, you will be able to get a full refund (plus compensation) if you choose to cancel the booking. The airline will take care of the passenger during their wait for the flight. You will be offered free food and drinks, hotel accommodation (if needed), free transportation, telephone calls, etc.
Also check, what to do if United Airlines canceled your flight.