Last updated on January 4th, 2023 at 04:12 am
Travel on one of the most reputable airlines and have the finest journey possible with Delta Airlines. At Delta, we make sure that passengers will have all the information they need before flying on Delta flights. This post will provide you all you need to know about Delta Airlines Baggage Policy. Furthermore, Delta makes checking baggage simple, and they have accommodations for special needs and babies. Lets check out the Delta Baggage Fees for Carry on and Checked Bags.
Delta Baggage Policy – Traveler’s Guide on Fees, Weight & Size Limit
The baggage must not exceed the allowed size and weight otherwise you’ll have to pay an additional fee. You can obtain all the specifics on the weight and size allowance here, so you don’t have to pay any extra costs. The amount of checked luggage allowed on Delta varies depending on the class, route, and destination. Check out for more information on Delta Baggage Policy, so you can fly without worry.
Delta Airlines Carry-On Allowance
A Carry-on is a piece of luggage a passenger can carry with them in the cabin. Each passenger on Delta flights is allowed 1 personal item and one carry-on item within the dimensions 22” *14” *9” including the wheels and handles. The carry-on item must fit in the space under the seat or in the overhead bin.
Checked Bag Weight Limit & Fee
Delta Airlines baggage policy allows 1 carry-on and 1 free checked baggage to all passengers. It also offers free checked bags to Delta credit cardholders. Military passengers and all the customers on certain flights of Delta airlines are also offered free checked bags. The checked bags must not weigh more than 23 kg in Economy Class and 32 kg in Delta Business and First-Class.
A passenger getting a free checked bag will save a passenger $60 on a round trip.
Delta Checked Bag Fee
For travel between the United States and Canada, you can carry up to 50 pounds free of charge.
- If your weight ranges between 51 and 100 pounds, you’ll be charged $100 each way
- A fee of $200 will be charged for bags weighing 71 to 100 pounds each way
- Bags between 62 and 80 inches will be charged $200 each way
- Bags that weigh more than 100 pounds or exceed 80 inches in length will not be accepted
Delta Airlines Carry on Baggage Size & Fees
A large or bulky item is considered oversized. Measure the size of your luggage in advance to ensure it does not exceed the maximum size permitted. Moreover, additional charges will be applicable for each item of excessive luggage.
Delta International Baggage Fees
- U.S./ Canada- $200
- Asia/ Middle East/ Australia/ India- $200
- North/ South/ Central America- $300USD/ $345 CAD/ 250 Euro
- Brazil- $100
Delta Baggage Weight Limit
According to Delta Airlines Baggage Policy, a bag that exceeds the weight restriction is referred to as an overweight bag. Moreover, here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- For flights within the United States and Canada, bags exceeding 100lbs are not allowed.
- For the flights within North/South/Central America and Europe/North Africa bags exceeding 70lbs are not allowed.
- Flights within New Zealand and Australia bags exceeding the weight of 70lbs are not accepted.
- Flights from and to Europe, South Africa, and UAE bags exceeding 70lbs are not accepted.
Delta Baggage Fees – According to Weight
- U.S./ Canada- $100 for bags weighing 51-70lbs and $200 for 71-100lbs.
- North/South/ Central America- 51-70lbs $100 USD/$120 CAS/ 85 EUR
- Mexico/ Central/ South America/ Caribbean- $100 USD/CAD for 51-70lbs and $200 USD/CAD for 71-100lbs
- North America- 51-70lbs $150 USD/CAD
- Other International Destinations- $100 USD/CAD for 51-70lbs and $200 USD/ CAD for 71-100lbs
Delta Checked Bag Policy
According to Delta Airlines Baggage Policy, passengers are permitted a maximum of 10 bags each flight. There is, however, a separate charge for each bag. The following are some suggestions regarding extra checked luggage: –
- Up to 10 bags can be checked per passenger for Delta flights.
- Up to 4 bags can be checked on Delta’s carrier flights.
- Delta connection carriers accept excess baggage on a space-available basis. If the baggage could not be sent with you, you can get it on the next flight.
Some of the special services offered by Delta Airlines Baggage Policy are:
- Children & Infant Items: Safety seats, strollers, car seats, and other items for babies in carry-on allowed for the convenience of infants and parents.
- Fragile Items: Fragile items are suggested to be carried in the carry-on. However, fragile items can also be checked in and the items with a fragile tag are properly taken care of.
- Medical Supplies: Medical equipment and other medical supplies are allowed without any extra charge onboard or as checked baggage. It is free of charge if it meets the size and weight requirements.
- Sports Equipment: Sports equipment is allowed in Delta Airlines and is charged as checked baggage based on the journey duration, weight, size, etc. Sports equipment over 115 linear inches and weight above 45kg will not be accepted in the flight.
Traveling With Infants And Children
People with infants and children can get restraint seats in the place. For passenger convenience, Delta doesn’t charge anything for strollers or car seats. These can be checked at the counter or the gate directly.
According to Delta Airlines Baggage Policy, travelers can also transport the following things for free for a baby or child:
- Infant Seat
- Breast Pump
The items however must not exceed the carry-on baggage allowance.
Baggage Allowance for Children and Infants
- When infant travel for free, he or she does not receive any additional luggage allowance.
- According to the revised Delta Airlines baggage policy, a baby or kid flying with a ticket is permitted one free checked bag up to 10 kg and dimensions (L+W+H) of 45 inches, as well as one stroller or pushchair.
- In basic economy class, a newborn on the lap is not permitted a piece of free luggage.
Wheelchairs or any other medical equipment is allowed on board without any additional charge. The items can be carried in place as additional item if they meet the size and weight limit.
If you keep your medical equipment in a bag that has other items, you will be charged a normal baggage fee. Wheelchairs can be carried onboard free of cost including folding, non-folding, manual, or electric, powered wheelchairs, etc.
The airline must be informed about the wheelchair at least 48 hours in advance. It is suggested to complete your check-in at least one hour before the departure if you have a battery-powered wheelchair.
Most of the sporting equipment can be checked or carried-on on Delta flights, according to the Delta Airlines Baggage Policy. According to the checked bag policy, a cost is assessed based on the cabin, travel region, and the number of checked bags. If the item exceeds the permitted limit, the oversize or overweight fee must be imposed.
Furthermore, there are a few factors to keep in mind
- The sports equipment should be packed as a durable protective container according to the size of the equipment.
- The sports equipment item over 115 linear inches and 100 lbs won’t be accepted.
- Sports equipment with exceeding size & weight of 115 linear inches and 100 pounds will not be accepted.
- Fees are calculated based on the equipment. The cost will be imposed appropriately if it is sent as checked luggage or carry-on.
Pet Policy Of Delta Airlines
Delta Airlines allows you to travel with your pets including small dogs, cats, or household birds in the cabin. The pets must be of a size that they can fit in a pet carrier that can fit under the seat. The pets in cabin kennels will be charged as an additional carry-on item. Or you can bring one pet as a carry-on and one personal item onboard.
Moreover, the following fees are applied for carrying a pet on board with Delta Airlines: –
- USA/ Canada/ Puerto Rico- $125 USD
- U.S. Virgin Islands- USD 200/CAD/EUR
- Brazil- USD 75
Please check Delta’s official website for further information on carry-on pet regulations and anything else connected to pet travel.
What size is carry-on luggage?
The baggage length+ width+ height should not be more than 45 linear inches.
What are the dimensions of carry-on luggage?
The carry-on luggage must adhere to FAA guidelines and not exceed 22” * 14” * 9”. The carry-on item must be able to fit underneath the seat or in the overhead bin.
What is allowed in your carry-on luggage?
Delta Airlines allows passengers to check one carry-on luggage and one personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag) for free.
What is the maximum size of carry-on luggage?
The maximum size of carry-on luggage must not exceed 115 centimeters. These measurements do not apply to musical instruments that can fit under the seat or in the overhead bin.
What is carry-on luggage?
Carry-on baggage is a piece of the item your carry-on in the flight cabin. One hand-baggage (personal item) and one carry-on baggage are allowed per person in flight.
What are the measurements of carry-on luggage?
The dimensions of the bag must not exceed 22 inches*14 inches*9 inches. Handles and wheels must be considered when calculating the size.
What happens if my carry-on is 1 inch too big Delta?
You won’t be able to bring a large carry-on on the plane, so you will need to check it at the gate. Despite the fact that it may not be too large, know that the overhead bin has limited space, so you may need to gate-check your carry-on bag (for free).
Does a blanket count as a personal item Delta?
Unlike carry-ons and personal items, blankets are not subject to the carry-on rule, so there is no need to stuff them into your already full suitcase or carry-on bag.
How many bags does Delta allow for free?
Delta passengers can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item free of charge (such as a purse, laptop bag, or other similar item that can fit under the seat in front of them).